Before school drop off and after school pick up of students can be a hectic time. We believe strongly that students will be safe and dismissed efficiently if adults and students are respectful of the following side circle (enter through the parking lot) guidelines:
- There is no parking in the side circle drop off area during arrival and dismissal times. In addition in the morning, parents should not block the circle waiting for the 8:45 morning bell. Students who eat breakfast may be dropped off beginning at 8:30 am.
- Students must sit on the designated line quietly until their driver nears the pick up area. On cold or wet days, the students will stand. Students are expected to watch for their ride and listen for their name to be called by a teacher for loading.
- Cars must clearly display a name card for the student(s) they are picking up. This card is best seen by the teachers when displayed from the rearview mirror with a clip hanger or attached to the back of the passenger sun visor. Name cards are available in the office.
- Teachers will call for the student(s) and send them to one of the colored cones.
- Students are not allowed to approach the loading area until they are called.
- Patrols are, first and foremost, fifth grade students who are assisting teacher in their before and after school duty. Their main job is to walk children safely to a designated pick-up spot. Patrols may help open car doors, but it is not required.
- Students must wait until the car has stopped in the loading area before approaching the door.
- Students must load on the curbside.
- Parents should only leave their vehicle if they need to secure a child in a safety seat.
- Parking and leaving your vehicle is not permitted in the side circle. If you must come into the building, please park in a visitor space or use street parking.
- The handicapped parking space is for disabled people who need to enter the building or for loading a child who is disabled. It is not a waiting area for dismissal time.
- When exiting the parking lot, no left turns are permitted.
- On rainy days or days when the wind chill of below 20 degrees, side circle students will be dismissed from inside the building. Student who typically meet parents on the patio just outside the south cafeteria door will be sent to the patio through the cafeteria door like any other day. If you do not wish to have your student come to the patio daily, please use the side circle process and your child will be called to your car upon your arrival in the pick up area.
- The speed limit for the parking lot is 7 miles per hour.
- Using a cellular phone in school zones is illegal in the state of Illinois.
For more information, please review our Transportation Reminders Handout.