FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are the school hours?
- Morning Session: 8:45 am to 11:15 am
- Afternoon Session: 12:45 pm to 3:15 pm
What is the earliest my child can arrive at school?
- The children can arrive 5 minutes before the start of their session. They may not arrive any earlier than 8:40 am or 12:40 pm. Please consider this if you are dropping your child off at school.
What if my child is late or needs to be picked up early?
- If your child arrives after the start of school, you must walk him/her into the building and sign him/her in at the office.
- If you need to pick your child up early, please stop in the office and sign him/her out.
What if my child is absent?
- Please contact the school office at 827-0308. The office opens at 8:00 am Monday - Friday. We also ask that you call the bus company at 828-4373 so that they know not to stop at your house.
- It is District 87's policy that all absences be reported. If your child is absent 10 consecutive days and you have not contacted the school regarding the missed days, your child will be dropped from our program.
Sick Kids Need to Stay Home and Healthy Kids Need to be at School!
- A fever is a sign of illness. A child with a temperature of 100 degrees or higher should NOT attend school. The child should be fever free (without medicine) for 24 hours before returning to school.
- Minor cold symptoms are common and usually don't interfere with school attendance. A persistent, frequent cough and/or constant nasal drainage may affect your child's performance at school, and he/she may be more comfortable at home.
- A rash may cover the entire body or only one area. A child that has a rash that is draining, has open areas, or is causing the child to itch excessively should not attend school. A rash accompanied with other symptoms such as fever, sore throat, irritability, vomiting, etc. should not attend school.
- A child who has vomited should wait 24 hours and be able to retain solid food before returning to school. A child who has diarrhea should not attend school.
- Strep throat requires 24 hours of treatment with an antibiotic and no sign of fever for 24 hours.
- Confirmed pink eye requires 24 hours of treatment with an antibiotic.
Can my child bring birthday treats to school?
- Yes, birthday treats are allowed at Sarah Raymond; however, they must be store bought. We are not allowed to accept homemade items. Please contact your child's teacher to discuss any specific preferences and allergy information for the classroom and to verify the number of children in the class.
What if my child has a summer birthday?
- You are welcome to send treats for your child's 1/2 birthday. Please discuss any plans with the teacher ahead of time.
CHANGES TO STUDENT INFORMATION
What if I move or change my phone number?
- If any of your personal information changes, please contact the school office right away so that we can update our computer system. It is important that the school office and teacher have current phone numbers and address information. We must have a way to contact families if there is an emergency.
What if I need to change my child's bussing?
- Any changes to bus information must be made through the school office. Please contact Sarah Raymond if you need to change the address for either pick-up or drop-off. Bus changes usually take 3 school days, so please give us as much notice as possible.
Can my child ride the bus home with a friend?
- For the safety of our children, they may only ride the bus that they are assigned to. We cannot allow the children to ride home with friends.
What if I need to have a friend or relative get my child off of the bus?
- If you are not able to get your child from the bus, please contact the office at Sarah Raymond School. We will need the name and phone number of the adult that is responsible for getting your child off of the bus. We will then contact the bus company to update the information for the bus driver.
What if I need to pick my child up and they are scheduled to ride the bus?
- If your child is scheduled to ride the bus, but you need to pick them up at school instead, please let the teacher know ahead of time or call the school office as early as possible so that we can inform the teacher before dismissal time. Last minute changes are very difficult to accommodate. The teachers have a regular routine at the end of the day and must escort the students to the buses. To avoid confusion, please keep the school informed of any changes.
How can I volunteer at Sarah Raymond School?
- District 87 seeks and encourages volunteers to serve in our schools. Adults who would like to help in the district are required to complete an annual criminal background investigation form. This form can be found under the forms link on our website, or you may contact the school office to obtain a volunteer background check form.
Do the kids go outside when the weather gets cold?
- The students will go outside as long as the feels like temperature is 20 degrees or above. Please make sure that your child is dressed appropriately.
How will I know if school is cancelled because of snow or bad weather?
- The District uses the School Reach Automated Phone System to contact families with important information, such as emergencies, school closures, or schedule changes. School closings due to weather are also posted on the District 87 website as well as broadcast on the local news and radio stations.