Google: We will continue to utilize Google Classroom this school year for assignments and activities. Students should be familiar with this platform from the previous year, and it will also be used in junior high. Parents are welcome and encouraged to check your child's Google Classroom.
Homework: Students will be asked to read daily and will have one weekly independent reading assignment assigned at the beginning of each week. Additional homework may be assigned, but plenty of time will be provided for students to complete their work at school with the opportunity to ask for assistance. Please check your child's student agenda daily.
Class Schedule: TBD Please check back soon!
Communication: In order for your child to meet their highest potential this year, we need to keep in contact. I have many ways that I will communicate classroom information, homework, and behavior with you.
- Classroom Newsletter: Our classroom newsletter will be sent home and posted on this site monthly. Please take a moment to read it as it will list important dates and let you know what we will be focusing on in class.
- REMIND: I will be using a text messaging service through the website REMIND. You may receive text messages detailing homework, personal messages, and important dates.
- Friday Reports: Friday Reports will be sent home weekly. These will include any missing assignments and an overall behavior rating. This will need to be signed by both you and your child and turned in the following Monday.
Expectations, Rewards, & Consequences
Expectations: I hold my fifth graders to a high standard. They are the leaders of our school. I expect them to understand the importance of that responsibility and carry it with pride. During the first few weeks of school, we will spend time building a classroom community and deciding how being responsible, respectful, and safe will look in our classroom.
Rewards: Students may earn various privileges or rewards from Irving staff for following expectations.
- Mustang Dollars: Students can earn Mustang Dollars in all areas of the building. They can use this money at our Mustang Mall when we visit it as a class on Fridays.
- Brownie Points: As a class, we have the opportunity to turn a brownie each time we have zero marks in specials and each day that the entire class has homework turned in. When we have filled our brownie pan, students will earn a special treat.
- House System: Students will continue to be a member of their current house. We will welcome new Mustangs into houses during the first week. Students can earn points for their houses throughout the day!
- Classroom Store: Students can earn money by doing classroom jobs and working hard to follow classroom expectations. This money can be used to purchase items from our classroom store.
Daily Behavior Rating: Please check your student's agenda for a daily behavior rating. Your child will self-asses their day, and you will also see a rating from me. At the end of the week, you will see an overall rating listed on their Friday report.